Junior Croquet Program
Junior Croquet Clinics in June
On each Saturday morning in June from 10 to 11 am, the Tega Cay Croquet Club will be having free croquet clinics for junior boys and girls (ages 8 - 18) who live in the Tega Cay area. Each session will teach Golf Croquet. The clinics will begin with fundamentals, will progress to higher skills and will allow the juniors to gain knowledge of croquet rules and strategies. The attendees will get to play organized games with other junior players. All equipment will be provided by the TCCC. Each clinic will be limited to eight juniors. The first eight to sign up before a clinic will be allowed to attend that session. Contact Terry Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org if your child wants to sign up for any or all of the four clinics. Other play sessions will be scheduled for the juniors throughout the summer depending on the interest. If we get enough juniors to attend the clinics, we will have a tournament at the end of June for the participants.
After the free clinics in June, each junior must become a member of the Croquet Club or pay a non-member fee to use the court.
The TCCC Junior Croquet Program is for boys and girls ages 8 to 18 who live in the Tega Cay area.
To give the young people in the Tega Cay area an opportunity to learn that Croquet can be a fun, entertaining and competitive sport, and that we have one of the best Croquet Facilities in the area.
Any child (ages 8 to 18) is eligible for a Junior membership in the Tega Cay Croquet Club and will have all of the General Membership Benefits with the following exceptions:
- The membership application must be approved by the child's parent or guardian. Click here for a copy of the TCCC Membership Application Form:
- Before a membership is granted, the child must participate in at least two TCCC croquet classes that teach the rules and fundamentals of croquet. Terry Hunt will arrange for the required classes for potential Junior member interested in instruction in Golf Croquet. Contact Terry at: email@example.com to set up a time. The first two training classes are free and our Club will furnish all the necessary equipment (balls and mallets).
- Junior members who are 16 years old and under must be accompanied by an adult member of the Club while playing on the court. The adult member will serve as a coach and assure that the equipment room is open during the reserved time. Any Junior member needing an adult member to be present at their reserved time can contact Terry Hunt at 803-548-0810 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and he will arrange for a Club member to meet the Juniors at the court. Contact should be made at least 24 hours before the reserved time.
- Junior members may make advanced reserved starting times for up to one week in advance. Junior members can make court reservations by clicking on the button below to make on-line reservations or call the Golf Club at 803-548-3500 for reservations up to one week in advance.
Junior members can start playing for free as soon as:
- The membership form is filled out and given to a TCCC Board member,
- The Junior has attended two training classes and
- The first year's membership fee has been paid.
The annual membership fee for a Junior is $75.00. New Members joining for the first time and paying the membership fee after October will pay a prorated amount of the first year's annual dues based on the month of the application. After the first year, the full fee will be due at the start of the next fiscal year. The TCCC fiscal year runs from October 1 to September 30. Junior membership is free if a child has a parent or grandparent who is a member of the TCCC.
For those who are not members of the Tega Cay Croquet Club, Non-Member play is available at a fee of $15 per person for a two hour play period.
At the Tega Cay Croquet Court next to the Tega Cay Golf Club Pavilion.
Based on the interest and the number of Junior members, the Club will schedule Play Days and special events for Juniors throughout the year. After the Junior members learn Golf Croquet, other croquet games such as Six Wicket and Association Croquet can be taught to the more advanced players.
If you have questions about our Junior Croquet Program contact Terry Hunt at email@example.com or call 803-548-0810.
Exhibition for Junior Members
On July 25th, TCCC Junior members watched an exhibition golf croquet game between Mathew Essick and Damon Bidencope. They demonstrated croquet techniques, taught strategies and took questions from the Juniors during the exhibition.
Matthew Essick is an 18 year old croquet player from Lexington, NC. He started playing croquet at the age of 6 due to persuasive efforts from his grandparents. Matthew took up Association croquet in 2011. Since then, he has been selected to 2 Solomon trophy teams, and 1 MacRobertson Sheild USA team selection. His favorite game is Association Croquet, but he really loves the sharpshooting and undervalued strategy of golf croquet. He currently lives in Lexington, NC, and will be attending North Carolina State University in the fall.
Damon Bidencope is a member of our Tega Cay Croquet Club and lives in Charlotte, NC. In 2016 he was inducted into the US Croquet Assocation Hall of Fame. His biography and croquet accomplishments can be seen at:
Pictures of the exhibition are shown below. Left click on the pictures to see enlarged photos. e event are shown below.
Junior Croquet Events
2017 TCCC Junior Fall Mixed Doubles Tournament
The Junior Mixed Doubles Golf Croquet Tournament was held on Sunday October 29 under cloudy skies with four TCCC Junior members participating. Two of our Junior players had to cancel on the day of the tournament due to illness and other unexpected conflicts. In celebration of Halloween, all players wore costumes. The Juniors played three games of mixed doubles rotating partners. Based on how well they played in these games, Logan Parker and McKenna Dyer finished in first place and received prizes and special Halloween trophies. Tanner Dodd and Haley Wallet received prizes for best costumes. Tournament Director, Terry Hunt, thanks the following volunteers for their time and service. Members who helped set up, referee and keep the game times were Gloria Bench, Alan Bench and Shirley Hunt. George Fiegel provided the beautiful trophies.
Pictures from the tournament are shown below. Left click on the pictures to see enlarged photos.
Junior Croquet Parents Day
The Junior members hosted their parents and a few other family members on May 7. Each family formed teams to compete against the other family teams in golf croquet matches. About twenty players participated. Prizes were awarded to the most enthusiastic family team (McKenna and Bart Dyer) and the most improved family team (Andrew and Natalie Atkinson). Prize winner pictures are shown below. Left click on the pictures to see enlarged photos.
Tega Cay Croquet Club
This Club is formed to promote the sport of croquet in this community
Founded in 2008
2017 Tega Cay Fourth of July Parade
"Hats off to the Tega Cay Croquet Club....
FYI.... The Croquet Club float took first place in the city's July 4th parade..... A special thanks to the Junior Croquet members that rode in the parade. I think it was their great smiles that got to the judges' hearts which helped us in securing first place. Campbell Grant, Logan Parker & Caroline Tucker.
Again, thanks to all..."